Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy Birthday, China!!

It’s been 61 years since Chairman Mao proclaimed this the
People’s Republic of China!

Yesterday marked the 61st anniversary of the founding of The People’s Republic of China and the beginning of my favorite month of the year. October has always been a special month in my life. Its 31 days have always managed to contain my favorite weather as the heat filled air of summer gradually blows on to another hemisphere. (Or not so gradually as has been my experience in Wuhan.) It leaves in its place the gentle chill of Fall that sweeps through the month and undresses all the trees that have clothed themselves in the finest of colors for the occasion. It’s one of nature’s many magnificent displays.

And while the small spot on the globe where I grew up might not be the absolute best in the country or the world for experiencing the Fall, it definitely is a contender. Tennessee is known for having a beautiful Fall – especially in the Smoky mountains and has always been a place where my soul smiles with delight during the season.

But then I moved to Wuhan, China, a city that is known for having the worst weather in China and some would argue in the world. However, it does, in fact, have multiple seasons. It just has very short ones that are pleasurable and really long ones that are some of the hottest and coldest you’ll experience. So, while I don’t actually remember anything about Wuhan during that first year that was remotely similar to the Fall, I was mostly still adjusting to life in this whole new not-so-small spot on the globe and just wasn’t observing the nuances of the weather yet.

Then last year I became determined to acknowledge and appreciate all of the ways that Fall is experienced in Wuhan – and especially to be thankful for the small ways it is similar to my favorite Fall moments in the U.S. And it paid off. When I opened my eyes to experiencing whatever living in Wuhan during October meant, I did see some changes in color in the leaves and spent more time trying to stop and savor the days that contained the gentle cool breezes.

This year, it’s a bit tougher. Not because the signs aren’t there. October has just begun and already I’ve seen so many things I must stop and appreciate. The day (though blazing hot) a few weeks ago when leaves had fallen and were making that beautiful sound as the wind swirls them around on the ground, the day (though we had been sweating only 12 hours before) the weather changed and we had to wear jackets because it was so cool! And even the two leaves on the tree outside my apartment that had changed color last week – then the two became a smattering and my soul rejoiced.

But along with noticing all these small ways that I can experience the Fall in this far land, I’ve also been homesick in a whole new way. It’s not the devastating feeling where my whole being just yearns desperately to be back in the familiar – after all, this land is familiar now and I’ve become quite adjusted to living here and knowing my U.S. and Kenyan friends and family are just a skype call away. It’s also not the sorrowful homesickness I get when I’m physically ill and just want to be at my parent’s home so they can take care of me or to be back where my friends can bring me comforting food after having a stomach bug. (There’s no canned chicken soup to be found here yet!)

Instead of feeling so severe, this homesickness is just a slight numbing feeling in my heart that, while knowing I am enjoying living here and that I will remain determined to really enjoy each and every moment of Fall I can experience during my Wuhan Octobers, also knows I’ll be one of the happiest girls in the world when I do get to experience my October Fall in the U.S. again someday with my friends and family there. When I’ll get to see hundreds of beautiful leaves dancing to the ground and swirling around, making a soundtrack of the season and when I’ll get to drive with the windows down while feeling the stinging cold air blow my hair to the rhythm of my favorite tunes. When I’ll get to drink warm cider and go to Fall Festivals, maybe even curling up under a blanket on a hayride with the laughter of friends all around. And definitely when I’ll get to dress up and spend Halloween with my brother and sister-in-law at their yearly Halloween Boolander Bash (I just gave it that name…maybe they’ll adopt it haha) So that’s my Fall homesickness.

But for now I have to keep on working to make this the best Fall in Wuhan yet! Friends have already gathered in my home to celebrate the beginning of the season in September with pumpkin bread, spiced cider and lots of apple pie goodies. And yesterday we enjoyed the National Holiday in China by having our very own celebration to mark the beginning of October with an American brunch complete with more pumpkin bread (by request), cider, hash browns, sausage patties (that should be a blog post of its own), French toast and more!

Pot-luck meal to celebrate the beginning of Autumn

Bobbing for Apples

American brunch to celebrate the beginning of October!

So, the homesickness subsides and I look forward to all the great memories this Wuhan Fall will hold. Thank goodness for some good friends here who love the season as much as I do and for the ones who send me messages telling me when something they know I’ll love reminds them of me (great Fall weather, clouds, full moon – the last two are not commonly seen because of smog).

What a special way to enjoy life just where I am!

Plus there are fun Fall events in China that don’t happen elsewhere like Mid-Autumn Festival, National Day and, as has been the case for the last two years, the beginning of teaching for me – getting to meet my new students!! I plan to post more about the first and last of those soon. In the meantime…

Happy Fall everyone – wherever you are and whatever the experiences are for you!!

3 comments:

The Price's said...

glad you are back to blogging! i enjoy reading about your adventures in china. take care.

Unknown said...

I LOVE your post and reading your writing again!!! If you don't keep this up, I will withhold Skype calls. I love you darling!

Norma said...

Great to see you writing again - I also loved your post and the photos. The food looks great! YUM! You'll have to make us some pumpkin bread when you are stateside in October! By the way, Oct is also very special because you - my daughter - were born on Columbus Day! Makes it super-special for me! Love you lots .......