
(Views from airplanes in the U.S. Seeing the world from a different angle.)
Arriving in Hong Kong after 29 hours of waiting in airports, sitting on three different planes, and dealing with the general weariness of long-distance air travel, I felt beat. As I walked through the Hong Kong airport headed to the next gate to await the next plane I was emotionally and physically drained. (It’s interesting how sitting on a plane can make you so tired.) It was not quite 6 a.m. in Hong Kong, so the airport was quiet and unpopulated except for a handful of other travelers.
As I passed the motorized walkways, the message reminding people to please watch their step was, of course, said in Chinese and then English.
Arriving in Hong Kong after 29 hours of waiting in airports, sitting on three different planes, and dealing with the general weariness of long-distance air travel, I felt beat. As I walked through the Hong Kong airport headed to the next gate to await the next plane I was emotionally and physically drained. (It’s interesting how sitting on a plane can make you so tired.) It was not quite 6 a.m. in Hong Kong, so the airport was quiet and unpopulated except for a handful of other travelers.
As I passed the motorized walkways, the message reminding people to please watch their step was, of course, said in Chinese and then English.
The walk to my next gate had me passing quite a few of these. I began to try to memorize the Chinese version and found delight in this reminder

of where I was and what the next year of my life was about.
I began to feel rejuvenated. Then, upon entering my terminal, the
sun could be seen rising behind some mountains that were beautifully silhouetted right outside the airport. It was gorgeous
and quintessentially China. My enthusiasm and excitement about my new surroundings returned, and I then felt joyfully eager to get on that final plane headed for Wuhan and to meet the city that will be my home for the next year.
(The sun rises in Hong Kong.)
No comments:
Post a Comment